4 Types of Pet Recovery Collars You Might Not Know Existed!
Image Source: http://www.thelabradorsite.com/dog-cone/
The Classic Elizabeth Cone
Also known as the cone of shame, the Elizabeth collar is a medical device usually made with a cone shaped plastic to prevent the animals (normally cats and dogs) from licking/ scratching a particular area or wound, so as to allow the skin to heal. This traditional type of collar is usually bulky and limits the peripheral vision / movement of the pets, resulting in them running into walls and scratching against furniture. It can be hard and uncomfortable for them to wear for prolong hours in a day.
Here are 4 recovery collars from KONG that serves as an alternative to the traditional e-collars, providing comfort and ease of use for both human and pets:
The KONG EZ Clear Collar is an alternative to the traditional e-collar using a safe and humane way of preventing animals from aggravating a healing wound or injury. It comes with adjustable Velcro straps which makes it easier to put on and take off.
- NOTE: You may want to raise food and water dishes off the ground for easier access.
- CAUTION: Make sure that your pet cannot become stuck in tight places (under chairs, between furniture, etc.)
- If you have more than one pet, you should separate the pet with the E-Collar if left alone.
- Available in 5 sizes: S, M, L, XL, XXL
KONG EZ Soft
The EZ Soft collar is designed with light weight and pliable fabric. It has an internal structure made with the patented Flexstay technology that maintains the shape of the cone while providing extra comfort to the pets during recovery. The EZ Fit neck closure slides over the pet’s neck easily and is quickly tightened with an adjustable drawstring closure. This allows the EZ Soft to go on, and stay on, the pet faster and safer. The soft material also ensures that the collar does not mark or scrap walls. Machine washable.
- Ideal for injuries, rashes or post surgery
- Suitable for feline and small dogs
- Available in 2 sizes: XS and S
KONG Cloud has been a popular choice of recovery collar among pet owners and vets. This unique shaped, inflatable collar is an ideal solution for pets recovering from injuries, rashes and surgeries. Plus point? Your pet get to maintain full visibility while wearing it, which helps to speeds its adaptability to the collar. It is constructed with an improved plush material that is tough, washable and is even scratch and bite resistant*. The soft to the touch material is comfortable and will not mark or scrape walls, furniture or shins.
- NOTE: Size up for pets with long limbs or between sizes.
- CAUTION: Always monitor a pet post-surgery to ensure collar is working properly. Some pets may be able to manoeuvre around any collar.
- Designed for pet use only
- Not intended to be used as a flotation device.
- Available in 5 sizes: XS, S, M, L, XL
One of the latest recovery protection collar from KONG. This float-like, air cushioned collar is a cross between a soft and inflatable collar and a classic rigid plastic e collar. It does not interferes with the pet’s daily activities such as eating or drinking and is fully adjustable, thus providing ultimate comfort during post-surgery recovery. Made with easy clean material – perfect form pooches which drools a lot! Will not mark of scrape furniture.
- NOTE: Repair patch is provided in the packaging for accidental punctures. However, do note that product is scratch and puncture resistant and not scratch/resistant proof.
- Owners should always monitor their pet and ensure that the collars are used properly.
- Size up for pets with long limbs or between sizes.
- CAUTION: Always monitor a pet post-surgery to ensure collar is working properly. Some pets may be able to man-oeuvre around any collar.
- Not intended to be used as a flotation device
- Available in 5 sizes: XS, S, M, L, XL
To summarize, every pet is unique and has it’s own needs. With the available options listed above, owners can then select a collar which is most suitable for his or her pet’s base on the following factors:
- Purpose of the collar (Is it to prevent chewing of limbs or post surgery recovery comfort)
- Type of pet ( The size of your pet and length of limb/snout)
- Energy level of pet